Monday, April 22, 2013

solstice scents chiffon


Vanilla, White Amber, White Musk & Lemon Myrtle EO

Chiffon is a scent that I've heard quite a bit of raving about and always wanted to try, because I love sweet lemony scents. I was all set to just order a full bottle right off the bat, until I read in the description that it had similar elements to and would appeal to fans of Snowshoe Pass. I don't think I've reviewed Snowshoe Pass on the blog yet, but spoilers: I hated it. Or, it hated me. The white amber and white musk absolutely took over and destroyed it for me, so seeing those same notes in this made me wary enough to just order a sample. (Which I should always do anyway, but I don't, because I'm dumb and bad with money. SO.)

ANYWAY.

Chiffon smells like lemon meringue pie. It's a soft lemon, not at all Pledge-y. It's sweet, but not overly so - it's not sickening or cloying. After a while I do get hints of that dreaded white amber/white musk combo, but it's not overpowering and it doesn't ruin it for me the way it ruined Snowshoe Pass. From first application to dry-down, Chiffon is just a soft, sweet lemon.

  
I'm on the fence about whether it's bottle-worthy, but only because I have similar things. It reminds me a bit of OHWTO's Carnivale and The Cake is a Lie, the main difference being that Carnivale is more fruity and The Cake is a Lie is more, well, cakey. I also have Maggie from Wiggle (muskier from what I recall) and Ambrosia from Arcana (way sweeter, and a bit creamy), a sample and a pumpkin butter in Honeysuckle Lemon Curd from Haus of Gloi (tangier and more flowery), and probably a few others that I'm forgetting - I mentioned that I love lemon scents, right? Yeah. While none of these are exactly the same as Chiffon, I don't know that I can warrant adding yet another sweet lemon scent to my collection at the moment, especially since this one, while lovely, doesn't knock my socks off in any particular way.

Would I buy it again? See above. I do like it, but probably not.

Available from: Solstice Scents

2 comments:

  1. I got lemon maringue pie from it too! I don't have any other lemon vanilla perfumes(I think so) so, this was totally full bottle worthy for me.
    Now I need to try Honeysuckle Lemon Curd for HoG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have so many, it totally would be! Lemon and vanilla is such a classic pairing, it's hard to go wrong. I know you like foody/floral pairings so I think you'd really like Honeysuckle Lemon Curd!

      Delete